Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's a Beautiful Day ...

Yes, indeed ... as the song from one of my favorite Rock and Roll bands U2's album "All That You Can't Leave Behind" it is a "Beautiful Day".


During the summer of 2004, at the time when the Democratic National Convention was held in Boston, Massachusetts to nominate John Kerry, I was on a Sea Touring Kayaking Trip up in Muscungus Bay off the Maine Coast for several days (By the way, Muscungus Bay is very pretty and the water so clear and pristine and you can see and paddle close to the Sea Lions swimming).

Anyway, in 2004 was my first time voting in a US Presidential Election, I became a US Citizen on September 18th 2001, exactly a week after the September 11th 2001 terrorist attacks on US soil, and I missed watching the DNC on TV.

Thanks to Steve Jobs and Apple, all the DNC speeches were posted in iTunes and I downloaded them all to my iPod to listen to them.

Of course, I was very eager to hear what Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore and John Kerry have to say, but what I didn't expect and really knock my socks off was Barack Obama's speech at the DNC. In my view this was one of the most powerful sentences in his Keynote speech:

"My parents shared not only an improbable love; they shared an abiding faith in the possibilities of this nation. They would give me an African name, Barack, or "blessed," believing that in a tolerant America, your name is no barrier to success."

I said to myself: WOW, this guy has a future and a lot of potential in the Democratic Party and in US politics. He reminded me of what I've seen, heard and read about JFK who was murdered on November 23rd 1963 before I was born.

Anyway, during the Democratic Primaries I supported and contributed to the campaign of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton until the day she gave her concession speech endorsing Barack Obama and where one of the most powerful lines was:

"Although we weren’t able to shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling this time, thanks to you, it’s got about 18 million cracks in it. And the light is shining through like never before, filling us all with the hope and the sure knowledge that the path will be a little easier next time. That has always been the history of progress in America. "

Well today I feel like what Frodo Baggins the Hobbit ring bearer in one of my favorite books "The Lord of The Rings" must have felt in the 3rd book of the trilogy "The Return of the King" when finally Sauron's ring was destroyed when Gollum fell down with it into the fires of Mount Doom thus saving Middle Earth and freeing it from all the Evil Darkness and Shadow coming from The Dark Lord Sauron in the tower of Barad Dur in Mordor.

By the way, I had tears in my eyes when I saw last Sunday on HBO U2's performance at the Lincoln Memorial and singing the song they wrote inspired by Martin Luther King Jr: "Pride (In The Name Of Love)".


Today Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a Dream" is coming full circle.

It's a "Beautiful Day"

:)

No comments: